In FileMaker Pro 12, FileMaker inc. introduced a new calculation function, called executeSQL(). With this function you can execute a specified SQL statement within a FileMaker Pro database.
The benefits are legio. You can now write calculations or scripts that get related data independent of the relationships graph. It allows you to combine data and calculate with the results.
We, at myFMbutler, are very pleased with this new feature. It will fit most needs for a lot of the FileMaker developers. Does it mean the myFMbutler doSQL is no longer required and obsolete?
No, although the new function is fast and straightforward, there are still some caveats.
So, today we are proud to announce our newest version myFMbutler doSQL 2.0.
About myFMbutler DoSQL 2.0
myFMbutler DoSQL 2.0 is a FileMaker Pro plug-in for Windows and Macintosh that allows you to manipulate FileMaker data from FileMaker calculations.
• uses SQL statements to select, update, create or delete FileMaker records.
• writes to FileMaker fields directly, using a calculation with SQL statements
• does complex portal filtering
• easily updates data in unrelated tables
• keeps a change log of your records, add rollback functionality, audit trails, etc.
• limits the number of tables, relationships, fields, and scripts required for certain tasks
• doesn't require any drivers
What is new?
• New DoSQL functions with simplified syntax, allows you to query and manipulate data without any SQL knowledge
• Returns native FileMaker data types like dates, images, formatted text, …
• Execute queries with parameters, to prevent SQL injection.
• Functions to work with result sets
• Debug tools to help you find SQL issues in your solution
FileMaker Pro 12 or FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced
FileMaker Pro 11 or FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced
FileMaker Server 12 or FileMaker Server 12 Advanced
Pricing and availability
myFMbutler DoSQL 2.0 is available today. DoSQL 2.0 prices start at EUR 29,- (about USD 38,-) for a single user version for Windows and Macintosh. Multi-user and developer versions are also available.
A demo version of DoSQL 2.0 is available for download on the myFMbutler web site.